Monday, March 12, 2018

Startup.com

    A few weeks ago we watched an absolutely riveting documentary called startup.com. Well, it was riveting to me because it follows two people embarking on a journey that I am considering: starting a tech company. It was really interesting to get a firsthand look at how things actually happen. One thing that I did now expect was that the CEO, Kaleil, spent the majority of his time getting funding for the company. I do understand that a CEO, especially for a small or medium company, has to spend a lot of time managing people, keeping morale up, and acting as the face of the company. However, it was a little disheartening to see that Keleil barely had touch with the product at all. This may have just been because of their management structure; the other co-owner, Tom, was more or less the "tech guy".
    This documentary has unfortunately led me to the conclusion that I don't think I want to start the company (or a similar company) detailed in my business plan, at least not as the CEO. I like my idea out of sheer passion for the product and vision statement. The company detailed in my business plan is a larger scale international company. It is also an idea that I have legitimately been entertaining for a year or two now. The fate of this company is kind of right back where the idea started: I would like to run a small boutique operation out of my garage if I am able to find the time. I think this will give me the ability to interface with the product the way that I really want to without getting bogged down by all of the things that come with a large business.
    However if I could grow a boutique operation into something larger because people loved my product, I would love to bring on somebody else to handle the business side of things while I handled the direction of the product.

No comments:

Post a Comment