Monday, March 12, 2018

Mission and Vision Statements

The mission and vision statements for my company have been floating around in my head for a while. It took a few iterations to come up with the most succinct and accurate ways to phrase them. Without further ado: 

Our vision is for no musician to feel limited by their instrument.
Our mission is to provide augmentations for electronic musical instruments using a simple, modern, plug-and-play design approach; creating no-frills products that  just work, straight out of the box.

The vision started out as "humans and instruments working together". I wanted to convey the idea that our company seeks to fix problems that people have with their instruments, specifically those relating to control. I went through a few different ways to phrase this, including "instruments that are the extension of one's body". The problem with this was that both of these visions are already true for any musician, as long as they have a high skill level. I realized that the problem I seeked to solve had to do with limitations or drawbacks musicians face from their instruments. I decided to look at things from the other side, winding up with my final vision statement. I think that it's imperative that the vision be a short, catchy, and refined sentence.

The mission, on the other hand, I intended to be more formal and informational. I did decide to keep things as one sentence (even though it's arguably a run-on) because it had the best flow. I included every key piece of information in here, making sure to stress our design ethos. I did this because I feel like our design ethos will be a big selling point for the company as well as something that sets us apart from the competition.




No comments:

Post a Comment